About Compassionate Management
There are two components to a job – the creative product and the interpersonal skills: 50% of our performance is based on how aligned the creative output is with the strategy and the other 50% is how we connect with our colleagues, clients, and bosses.
Most creative people are deeply educated about creative output and have been taught nothing about management. That’s a crazy set up for failure and why I created Compassionate Management.
The core concept is to apply compassion in place of fear. We do this internally; that’s what makes it so powerful. It’s not about trying to change anyone else; it’s about shifting our own experience to make what could be a really difficult situation into a manageable one.
Compassionate Management taps into who we are, not what our job description says. Scan the 10 Innate Tools below and see if any resonate. You have each and every one of the tools inside you, waiting to be used at the office. I’ve seen it over and over; once you understand the tools and begin applying them, your perception shifts and along with it, how you feel, think and react.
Suddenly you’re the colleague everyone wants to work with, no matter your title, level, or function.
The 10 Innate Tools of Compassionate Management are:
1. Be Your Self – When we show up fully and quietly confident
2. Trust Your Gut – When we trust our deepest knowing
3. Own Your Power – When we control how we respond
4. BOD, Baby – Giving others the Benefit of the Doubt
5. Not Taking It Personally – When we decide it’s not about us
6. Coexisting Truths – Opposing truths do not negate each other
7. Seen, Heard, and Understood – The universal desire
8. Tone Of Voice – Meaning changes as our intonation changes
9. Meet Your Inner Critic – Disarm the internal terrorist
10. Be Self Aware – We choose who we want to be in this world